Dependencies for building GLOW
From GLOW Visualization
To build GLOW, the following software and libraries are needed.
Get the JDK
Get a Java JDK for your system. For development, JDK 1.5 is recommended. To simply use GLOW, a higher version works too.
- Snow Leopard includes JDK 1.6, but it is possible to install the old JDK using this JDK 1.5 tutorial.
- Other systems: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Get Apache Ant
Mac OS X includes Ant; for other platforms:
- URL: http://ant.apache.org/
- Put Ant's bin directory in the system's PATH, so that typing 'ant' from the command line starts Ant.
Get Protege 4.0.x
- URL: http://protege.stanford.edu/download/download.html
- Install it, for example: C:\Program Files\Protege
- Verify that Protege starts up correctly.
Get Prefuse beta
- URL: http://prefuse.org/download/
- Download Prefuse-beta (release 2007.10.21) source zip
- Unpack it, for example: C:\Program Files\prefuse-beta
- Doublecheck: sources should now be in: C:\Program Files\prefuse-beta\src\prefuse
- Build it:
- Go to the prefuse-beta directory
- Patch the build.xml script in order to make it cross-compile to JDK 1.5 class files. Add the following attributes to javac tags (two times): source="1.5" target="1.5".
- Run the 'build' script, e.g. build.sh or build.bat. This script requires Ant.
- Doublecheck: the follwing directory should now have been created: C:\Program Files\prefuse-beta\build\
- URL: http://kenai.com/projects/jogl/pages/Home
- Download URL: http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-2.0-beta10/
- Currently using 2.0-beta10
- Unpack it, for example: C:\Program Files\JOGL
- Doublecheck: lots of jar files should now be in: C:\Program Files\JOGL\lib
- Put its 'lib' folder in the system PATH environment variable, e.g.: C:\Program Files\JOGL\lib
Get a version of GLOW
- URL: http://www.glowvis.org/latest/
- Save the .jar files to your Protege 'plugins' directory, e.g. C:\Program Files\Protege\plugins
- Verify that Protege starts up correctly and that the GLOW visualization can be selected under Views -> Class Views